AWS, GCP, and Azure maintain physical security measures designed to provide physical data security and formal physical access procedures.
- Nondescript data center facilities
- Physical access is controlled
- Video surveillance at perimeter and ingress points
- Professional security staff
- Intrusion detection systems
- Multi-factor authentication required to access data center floors
- All visitors monitored
- Logged data center access
AWS, GCP, and Azure adhere to the principle of least privilege. Access is granted for legitimate business needs and limited to the minimum level of access required to complete the task. Access is revoked when staff leave or change positions.
AWS, GCP, and Azure maintain physical controls to safeguard the assets within their respective data center facilities including:
- Fire Detection and Suppression equipment
- 24 hour support for power generation. UPS backups for temporary, isolated power outages and generators for longer power outages affecting the local power grid.
- Climate control
AWS, GCP, and Azure monitor electrical, mechanical, and life support systems and equipment so that any issues can be immediately identified. AWS, GCP, and Azure conduct preventative maintenance on their respective data centers to maintain the continued operability of data center equipment.
For more information on AWS physical security see AWS’s website.
For more information on GCP physical security see GCP’s website.
For more information on Azure’s physical security see Azure’s website.